Author Topic: I just wanna get warm (nod to Mark Heard) Fall 2017  (Read 2020 times)

grace

• poobah of moron world
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I just wanna get warm (nod to Mark Heard) Fall 2017
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2017, 06:13:09 AM »
Will there be any bartenders up there in Heaven?
Will the pubs never close, will the glass never drain
No more D.T.'s and no shakes
And no horrors
Very next morning you feel right as rain

O God loves a drunk, the lowest of men
With the dogs in the street and the pigs in the pen
But a drunk's only trying to get free of his body
And soar like an eagle high up there in heaven
His shouts and his curses are just hymns and praises
To kick-start his mind now and then
O God loves a drunk, come raise up your glasses, amen

Does God really care for your life in the suburbs
A dull little life of dull little things
And bring up the babies to be just like Daddy
And maybe you'll be there when He gives out wings

I can't speak for Sharon but as one of those types who tends to look for divine meaning in things (it seems to increasingly happen I find it but I could be wrong) I remain pumped about how things are going in my life; consider:

Early September of 2015 I hit bottom, practically speaking from the standpoint of habitual drunkenness, and started attending AA meetings. I'd tried to moderate my drinking many times but now recognize I didn't have a problem, I was the problem.

Fast forward to summer 16 when a gal I dated in COS told me about warmshowers and within minutes of signing up my education about bicycle travel began; after hosting 75ish riders I wanted to give it a go so in February 2017 I posted a companions wanted notice and received many responses.

Sharon's was the last and best, given what I knew then: an incredibly independent woman who'd overcome a sucky childhood to find her niche in the world and live her life on her terms. She told me once she 'always got her way' and I now believe that is true, almost all of the time.

We agreed I'd navigate us across the Southern USof A and she'd introduce me to Mexico as she's been several times, though never on a bicycle.

And we rode together spending the first three days (we were delayed by one as she missed her initial flight here because of being drunk the night before) together in NOLA getting to know each other and enjoying the vibes.

Like I told her: I hope that our riding together, whatever that is, can serve some higher purpose, whatever that might be.

A sign from God about the two oldsters at the hostel? ;)

This turned out to be a big deal: Sharon has a bunion on her left foot which can be aggravated by her wearing high heels and when she was partying in Vancouver she did - it was a problem for her the entire time we rode together

requiring short days and many stops to accommodate her pain.

She was a trooper, though, in many ways: using my material she made an orthotic

which she said helped.

So to sum: two problem drinker types, both having their Excite-O-Meters pegged due to the circumstance find each other in New Orleans and lubricate the event with too much wine...

live and learn, or not.

We enjoyed the overwhelming majority of our time together until our different dreams diverged.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:00:44 AM by grace »
Seriousness is not a virtue ... Satan fell by force of gravity.

G.K. Chesterton

grace

• poobah of moron world
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I just wanna get warm (nod to Mark Heard) Fall 2017
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 07:20:33 AM »
All you need is a sober rider

Our time in NOLA was spent riding to various destinations, many of which had alcohol as their primary draw

and Heaven Forbid I don't take my share of heat for this - I was the one who should have reined in my excess earlier; as it is I took too long and my bad.

And it's not like we were riding around buzzed... we restrained ourselves until we were parked for the night and then explored our limits.

We headed toward Baton Rouge after enjoying our last morning in NOLA together.

We took the levee trail as far as we could that day.

Life in the fast lane

guaranteed to blow your mind.

We met this guy from China somewhere along the way - first touring cyclist I've seen on the road since I left NYC mid-September - good to make your acquaintance, sir.

We were 15 miles from Baton Rouge and Sharon's foot was bothering her and lo and behold a road angel flagged me down and put us up!

Home for tonight and if garages could talk...

actually, I'm glad they don't but there was mercy shown that evening. :nod

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:03:32 AM by grace »
Seriousness is not a virtue ... Satan fell by force of gravity.

G.K. Chesterton