Author Topic: Henry David Thoreau  (Read 185 times)

• poobah of moron world
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Henry David Thoreau
« on: October 25, 2017, 03:24:14 AM »
I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavours to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.

In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be.

Now put the foundations under them.

I somehow managed to not read Walden in high school so had a few experiences prior and when I picked up a copy knew he was the real deal.

In the interest of simplicity here's just about all the schooling you really need:

Read Walden, absorb the precepts and live as you will walking to the beat of the drummer only you hear.

(Walden can be a big bite so here's another taste: Resistance To Civil Government)

My undying gratitude to a pencil maker, late of Concord Massachusetts.

Author's Ridge in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery

About which more in the I just wanna get warm (nod to Mark Heard) thread.
Seriousness is not a virtue ... Satan fell by force of gravity.

G.K. Chesterton

• Thanks for joining and looking forward to getting to know you!
    • View Profile
Re: Henry David Thoreau
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:19:06 AM »
Lucinda Williams

This song came to me some time after I was smashed as a pedestrian by a drunk driver and my life changed forever. In the two years that I convelessed I would work in my studio doing what I do with clay and turn this song on full blast when it came up on her album "Car Wheels On  Gravel Road".

She helped me look for, find and retrieve my joy.